Follow Village Moms by Email

Friday, January 3, 2014

Praying For Our Children

I was inspired by The Mom Of Boys Society to choose a Bible verse to pray for my children throughout 2014. I absolutely love the MOB Society! They offer help and advice for moms of boys but I often apply the principles to both my son and daughter. This year they have challenged us to choose a verse and pray it daily over our children.

It really took me some time to decide on one but I chose Romans 13:14

"Rather, clothe yourselves with the Lord Jesus Christ, and do not think about how to gratify the desires of the sinful nature." 

I was drawn to this verse because it reads so simple yet is rich with meaning once it's dissected. When I think about the first part "clothe yourselves with the Lord Jesus Christ" I think about the armor of God. Ephesians 6:10-18 is the passage that Paul wrote regarding the belt of truth, the breastplate of righteousness, the gospel of peace, the shield of faith, the helmet of salvation, and the sword of the Spirit. 

The second part of the verse "do not think about how to gratify the desires of the sinful nature" is so merciful and understanding yet definitive that we all have sinful desires. It's in our nature and we cannot escape it. However, we are told not to devise a plan to satisfy those urges. That's when we get into trouble because it's the first step to sinning. It's figuring out how to get what we want even though we know we shouldn't have it. Being tempted is not a sin but giving into temptation is. Since my son is only 4 his temptations are fairly harmless (swiping candy without asking, not sharing, not putting his toys away) but it is during this critical time that he will learn to control his thoughts, actions and words. It is a huge lesson to learn and we will all need prayer about this!

I am so thankful for the opportunity to share this with you all. I hope that you will join me in praying for our children this year. Let us know what verse you're going to pray for your child, we'd love to hear!

HAPPY NEW YEAR!


No comments:

Post a Comment