Follow Village Moms by Email

Thursday, December 5, 2013

Distractions & December


I hope you all enjoyed Thanksgiving as much as I did. Thanksgiving is my favorite holiday. There's so much less fuss than Christmas. We enjoyed a relaxed morning and then a wonderful afternoon and evening at my in-laws house. The meal was so tasty and having our family together was so nice. 

Christmas is approaching so fast! Last year at this time I was about 36 weeks pregnant. It wasn’t pretty. I was really overwhelmed at the thought of having two children as well as knowing I would be having my second caesarean. Needless to say, I did not enjoy Christmas last year. As a believer, I should have been elated to celebrate the birth of my Savior! I was so nervous about the task that God had put in front of me that I forgot my true joy. 

December can be a month full of distractions from what is truly important. Not only are we overloaded with images of gifts but we are pressured to spend, spend, spend our hard earned money on them! The glitter, the shiny ornaments, Santa, parties, etc are all just distractions to the fact that God gave us the best gift we will ever receive. His Son.


Whatever you are facing this holiday season, don’t forget that God is looking down on you in love. He is there holding your hand, wrapping you in His peace and light. Turn to Him and embrace Him.

“Answer me when I call to you,
O my righteous God.
Give me relief from my distress;
be merciful to me and hear my prayer.”
Psalm 4:1

Can you identify with the anguish of King David as he is crying out to God in this psalm? Approach God and give your burdens to Him. Cry out to Him. He longs to take you in His arms and give you joy. One of my favorite verses found in Jeremiah is proof. 

“For I know the plans I have for you,” declares the Lord, “plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future.” Jeremiah 29:11

My prayer is that you’ll keep Jeremiah 29:11 as your anthem as you navigate the path God has laid before you. Let us embrace the coming weeks with excitement as we prepare for the celebration of Christ’s birth. 

“Turn your eyes upon Jesus,
Look full in His wonderful face,
And the things of earth will grow strangely dim,
In the light of His glory and grace.”

Love this video from Hillsong United.

No comments:

Post a Comment